Monday, March 30, 2009

Psychedelic Laser Cake

I am WAY behind in posting.  There haven't been new cupcake adventures in the past two weeks, but there have been two new cakes, so I'll see if I can catch up on the posting tonight...


Psychedelic Laser Cake 

OK, so this cake didn't start out as a Psychedelic Laser Cake...  it started out as a friend asking me to make a cake for their church's Cake and Pie Auction.  Any cake I wanted.  And I immediately thought of a spectacular chocolate creation that I really want to make.  But that could be made for a birthday or something.  What I also have been wanting to make is a colourful version of the black and white splatter cake that I made for my aunt's birthday.  And since I'm convinced it has to be a tiered cake, which make it less practical to make just for fun, I decided to make it for the cake auction.

The bottom tier was square and the top was round, which added to the whimsy.  I like the idea of mixing cake shapes in tiered cakes.  


The cakes are Very Vanilla cakes layered with Blood Orange Frosting.  Everything is covered in marshmallow fondant and splatter with pink, green and blue icing.  The green is unfortunately less opaque than the pink and blue, but whatever.  It's still a lot of fun.  And it kind of reminds me of my grade one school picture, with the coloured lasers shooting across the blue background.


The most important lesson learned is that when you're splattering a cake with various colours, you have to let each colour dry before you throw the next one on, otherwise they end up running together and you lose the crisp lines, as seen below...


I was quite happy with the final product.  I don't know how much it went for at the cake auction, but I suppose I might find out later this week...


And that is that!  I would like to try this someday with splattering white icing on a dark fondant background, but I need to buy the white food colouring...  Someday...

No comments:

Post a Comment