Monday, March 30, 2009

Curling Cakes

It's a little too late at night for me to come up with a witty name for these cakes, so this one's rather obvious...

Curling Rocks


These were made for a curling tournament (bonspiel??  I really don't know my curling terminology...) hosted each year by a company that I work with.  They asked me to make a curling themed cake, and I couldn't think of anything more curling related than curling rocks.  Plus, way easier to make than a broom...

The rock with the yellow handle is a lemon layer cake with vanilla buttercream and the rock with the red handle is chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream.  Both are covered in a light grey fondant and then sponged with a black icing to create the granite look.

They were a lot of fun to make, though in hindsight I'd have started thinking about how to make the handles earlier in the night.  Though I suppose they worked out just fine, even if it was 11:30pm and I was sitting in the kitchen thinking "how in the world am I going to make those handles??".

The only danger in making curling rock cakes is that I really wanted to try sliding them across the kitchen floor.  Or down the driveway.  It's covered in a sheet of post-blizzard ice right now, so it might have work well...

1 comment: