Well, I have subscribed to many different magazines over the course of the past years, and none have ever caused as much excitement upon delivery as Bon Appetit. Flare, Elle Canada, Macleans, Ski Canada, and the list goes on... none can compare to the thrill of cracking open the new issue of BA to see what culinary challenges await. Some months I find many recipes to try, other months the articles are more interesting than the recipes, and every month has pictures to make you drool. All of that lead up should hint to the fact that the monthly arrival of BA is an event of significance. And today was that day. And seeing as it's an event of significance, someone surely must live blog it.
Here we go.
11:20- the cover photo is a salad with chicken. meh. December always gets the best covers of desserts.
11:21- ripped off the plastic wrap. cracked the cover. skip the car ads and the moisturizer that will apparently make me age more slowly.
11:22- a quick scan of the table of contents pretty well guarantees that the features on cakes will be my favourite, but the pizzas might be interesting too... the second page of the table of contents, which has photos from the cake feature just solidifies my previous assumptions that I might as well skip the rest of the magazine and just go drool over the cakes.
11:24- I think I want lime green cupboards in my kitchen. It just looks so cheery... I also want the royal blue washer/dryer set...
11:27- the RSVP section has some good looking recipes, but I'll skip the 10 best sushi restaurants article.
11:29- the Double R Daiquiri looks pretty refreshing... rhubarb and rosemary are their two r's
11:33- destination: Cape Town, South Africa. All of the pictures and restaurant descriptions make me want to go. I'll add it to the never-ending list of future travels.
11:35- Fortune Cookie napkins? A $50 pineapple corer? I'll take the bottle of Extreme Vanilla Bean Chocolate Sauce, and I might eat the whole thing with a spoon.
11:37- fast, easy, fresh- the frozen banana bites with chocolate look awfully easy, and also tasty. I could skip some of the next recipes, but will have to bookmark the lime shortbread cookies
11:39- I have never cooked with ramps, but apparently I need to. They're only available from March to June, and are garlicky. Put them on the shopping list.
11:41- why so many ads?
11:43- I will have to read the article on the puff pastry cocktail party- it looks interesting.
11:44- why is there a picture of Paris Hilton at a BA party? This magazine is losing credibility. And quickly.
11:45- the Easter menu isn't really grabbing my taste buds, except for the dessert. The leg of lamb I'll skip but I'll be bookmarking those parfaits...
11:46- the Passover dinner menu also isn't really jumping out at me, but that might be because I know that I'm only ten pages from the cakes.
11:48- the main dinner dishes look good. Is it wrong for pork tenderloin and roasted carrots to look appetizing when it's almost midnight and I'm supposed to be going to sleep?
11:49- THE CAKES!!! They offer six recipes with variations. I'll skip the coconut one (allergies) but will NEED to try the other five. Maybe I'll have time to bake Saturday? or Sunday?
11:55- I'd like to try the pizza dough recipe they give. I'm usually way too lazy and/or unprepared to make my own pizza dough. Though, upon closer reading of the recipe, it's pretty involved... I could always just find a different recipe, or cheat and use one of the breadmaker dough recipes. I will, however, make the dessert.
11:57- Here's my lime green kitchen. And not only is it literally painted green, but apparently it's environmentally green as well.
11:59- How to Buy a Fridge. Well, I look at the pictures and choose one. Checking the price tags they've listed shows that I chose the $12,000 USD fridge. Sweet. More than my car cost. I will definitely not be buying that fridge. Thanks for nothing, Bon Appetit.
12:00- Ooh- an outdoor kitchen. Not so practical for this climate, but a fun idea.
12:01- The Prep School section has a step by step on folding. This will only be entertaining to the girls who made my surprise birthday cake last year. I think they could have used this page...
Well, not surprisingly, I've come to the last page of the magazine and the vast majority of recipes that I've bookmarked are desserts. There were a bunch of other recipes that I might try as well, but it's mainly those cakes that I've got to get baking.
All in all, a good month, I think. I'll update when I try a recipe.
But for now, sleep calls.
- Carolyn


No comments:
Post a Comment