You start by crumbling a sheet cake and then mixing in icing (for me, chocolate cake and chocolate icing, with a bit of vanilla icing added near the end because I thought it was too dry).



Next you roll the cake/icing mixture into balls and stick them in the freezer to firm up for a bit. Up to this point, I was flying along. And thinking things like "gosh, this is SOOOOO easy!!".

So then I take the cake balls out of the freezer and melt the chocolate and put the pop sticks into some of the cake balls. Then I try dipping the first cake pop in the melted chocolate. Well, I think the chocolate was too thick. Because I melted over a 1/2 cup of chocolate and it barely covered 3 cake pops/balls. So then I melted some of the orange candy melts I picked up to try with those. Well, I think it was too thin, because you could see the cake ball through the thin coating and it dripped down the stick of the cake pop. New problems included the cake balls falling of the sticks into the bowl of chocolate and crumbling in the bowl, etc, etc. I think that setting up the chocolate fountain and running the cake pops through that would be a lot easier and perhaps someday I'll try that... So in the end, about 10 of the 48 cake balls were coated in chocolate. And the rest were rolled in a cocoa/icing sugar mixture which looked great at the time, but had absorbed into the cake ball by morning.

So the verdict? Messy. Not as quick and easy as I had initially thought. But tasty. I brought the mess in to work and everyone agreed that they were brilliant in concept and delectable in flavour. One of my coworkers was going to go home and try to make them that night. I wonder how it went...
I think I need to re-read Bakerella's instructions and try this again. Or else just forget about the cake pops and focus on the cakes that are coming up...
- Carolyn


No comments:
Post a Comment