Saturday, November 6, 2010

2010 Wedding Cakes

November?! Already?!
My dear sister pointed out that I have ridiculously negligent on the blog front. I did a bit of investigating here, and realized that I have four wedding cakes (dating back to January!) that I haven't posted about. So here is the mass 2010 Wedding Cakes post...

JANUARY 2010

A friend requested a larger version of the present-y wedding cake that has apparently become my signature wedding cake. The cake tiers were a mix of lemon and vanilla cakes, with vanilla buttercream and fondant.


The bride and groom had the cake topper made specially by some company in England, and even included their dog on the cake!


JUNE 2010

The next wedding wasn't until June. My former roommate had a lovely cottage wedding. In keeping with the more rustic setting, she wasn't concerned with a cake that looked traditionally pretty, but wanted a cake that looked delicious- that when you looked at it you just needed to eat it. We ended up with two square almond upside down cakes, covered in peaches and blueberries (picked by the groom's father). The two square cakes (12" and 8") sat on side by side tiered stands, and while they weren't traditional, I sure enjoyed eating the test cake!


For the same wedding, I baked cupcakes as the take-home gift. An almond cupcake topped with a swirl of almond buttercream and a fondant flower. The bride was on an almond kick, and I don't usually bake with it because my sister is allergic to almonds, but boy do I love that nut! This was my first time boxing 100 cupcakes in individual boxes, but it went far more smoothly than I anticipated. (These photos are from Jen's photographer, but I don't know her name. If I find it I'll update this.)


AUGUST 2010

This was one of those fun cakes for a friend who was about to let me just do "whatever you feel like" until I insisted on more vision from her, which resulted in the two of us sitting on the floor of the Chapters magazine section, drinking Starbucks and flipping through the $14 magazines looking at cakes. It turns out that she was quite enamoured with the cherry blossom cakes, which I have always been looking for an excuse to make. We switched from the traditional pink to blues that matched her desired colour (based on a trip to the Home Depot paint chip department once we were done at Chapters) and I think it turned out really, really great. That same day we added the top tier (my first time doing a four tier cake) because the guest list was expanding. Because she was so easy going about the design, I also seized the opportunity and offset the tiers.

The cakes are a mixture of chocolate zucchini cake and lemon poppyseed. This was another case where the bride didn't care so much about the look of the cake, and just wanted tasty cake. She was quite happy when I said that we could make her chocolate zucchini and lemon poppyseed looked tiered and pretty.

I can't lie- I love this cake. (photo by Alison Ralph Photography since I can't find my memory card...)


SEPTEMBER 2010

The last wedding cake of the year for me! Both the bride and groom are huge football fans (they went to Minneapolis for the Vikings/Cowboys game for their honeymoon) and requested a fun football themed cake. It was a smaller wedding, so we were able to get away with one large cake, that became a football field. The Cowboys half of the field is vanilla cake, and the Vikings side is chocolate. It was a lot of fun- just don't look too closely at the straightness of the piped lines.


So that was 2010 in wedding cakes. I already have about 4 cakes lined up for next year, ranging from the traditional to the ridiculously fun, so bring on 2011!

Happy Caking,
Carolyn

1 comment:

  1. Mine still wins for most gorgeous cake ever! Thanks for making me an absolutely beautiful and yummy wedding cake. I enjoyed our Chapters date flipping through overpriced magazines and was ecstatic that it resulted in something so spectacular. You are amazing. We need to hang out.

    ReplyDelete