When struck by the need to bake something, I sometimes get creative. So when my roommate announced it was 'Pi Day' back on the 14th, we all started thinking about pies. Since I needed to eat some pie but didn't feel like making the whole pastry part, I whipped some of the store bought tart shells out of the freezer. I then set about doing some internet recipe searching to figure out what sort of lime pie I could make using only the ingredients in my kitchen. An hour later we were eating some very tasty Key Lime Tarts. Or Key Lime Cup-Pies, as I insisted on calling them, though I think the Pushing Daisies Cup-Pies were larger than a traditional tart.

There are very few key lime pie recipes that don't call for sweetened condensed milk. Since I didn't have any of that in the house, I searched high and low before finding a sort of ok recipe, which I then tweaked a bit. In the end, we had the tart shell, the key lime filling (not super creamy because of the lack of condensed milk, but sweet and tart and lovely) and then a key lime glaze over the top of the tart. Oh, and they were good.

I love citrus fruits and especially limes. Also, especially lemons. And grapefruits. And blood oranges. Ok, let's just say I love citrus fruits. This recipe was tasty, quick, and easy, and I will definitely make these again!
Happy Baking!
- Carolyn
Oh, this looks yummy. I am partial to lemon-lime flavoured desserts, too. I like tart and sweet combinations.
ReplyDeleteI made a grapefruit version of these yesterday! They didn't turn out quite as well as the lime, in my opinion, but I'd say that's because grapefruit flavour isn't quite as intense as key lime. I'll have to try grapefruit tarts with a different recipe that allows for more citrus...
ReplyDelete